ARTICLE 13. Vacation
A. Earning and Accrual of Vacation Leave
An eligible employee earns vacation credit from his/her date of appointment. Vacation credit for eligible employees is earned each quadri-weekly cycle based on the percent of time or number of hours on pay status for that quadri-weekly cycle at a rate determined by the length of qualifying service, according to the following rates:
|Years of Qualifying|
|Per Hour on Pay Status||Approximate Yearly|
|Less than 10||.057692||15 days||240 hours|
|10 but less than 15||.069231||18 days||288 hours|
|15 but less than 20||.080769||21 days||336 hours|
|20 or more||.092308||24 days||384 hours|
* Full-time rate of 160 hours per quadriweekly cycle
B. Qualifying Service to Determine Rate of Vacation
Qualifying service to determine rate of vacation credit shall be calculated as follows:
1. A month of service at one-half time or more is a month of qualifying service.
2. Payment for service must have been made by the University or the State of California.
3. Time on military leave from the Univ ers ity o r the State of California is included.
4. Service need not be continuous.
C. Eligibility to Earn Vacation
An employee appointed at fifty percent (50%) or more of full-tim e for a pe ri od of six quadri-weekly cycles or more is eligible to earn vacation from the date of the appointment. An employee who is not eligible to earn vacation by the nature
of the appointment becomes eligible to earn vac ation after six continuous quadri-weekly cycles on pay status at fifty percent (50%) or more and shall then be credited with vacation for the six-quadri-weekly cycle period.
D. Accrual of Vacation
An employee shall accrue full or proportionate vacation credit for a quadri-weekly cycle, in accordance with the Vacation Leave Tables shown in Section A. of this Article. The following criteria shall apply:
1. Vacation credit shall accrue during Leave With Pay.
2. Vacation credit for each quadri-weekly cycle shall accrue at the end of the quadri-weekly cycle, except that an eligible separating employee accrues proportionate vacation through the last day on pay status.
3. Vacation credit shall not accrue for time on pay status in excess of the full-time working hou rs of the quadri-weekly cycle.
E. Scheduling of Vacation
Vacation leaves shall be approved and scheduled by the Department to meet the operational requirements of the University, and in accordance with the following provisions;
1. Vacation time shall not be used prior to the time it is accrued, except as provided in Article 16, Leaves of Absence of this Agreement.
2. Absence for illness, disability, or personal reasons, for example, for special or religious holidays, may be charged to vacation with prior approval of the supervisor.
3. Upon written request an employee shall be granted vacation before the employee’s accrued credit reaches the maximum which the employee can accumulate. An employee shall be notified 60 calendar da y s an d 30 calendar days before reaching the maximum vacation credit which the employee can accumulate.
4. An employee shall not be paid vacation for the same period that the employee is working and on pay status in the employee’s present position, or any other position paid by University’s funds.
5. Vacation schedules for the entire calendar year shall be established from employee requests made during January. If conflicts arising in the dates of requested vacations cannot be resolved informally by the Department and employees involved, then seniority in the Skilled Craft unit shall establish the priority of the vacation scheduling for those employees. Department management shall respond in writing to such vacation requests made in January not later than March 1 of each calendar year. Except as provided in E.8 below, vacation requests made during January, but not responded to by March 1, are considered approved by the department.
6. Exceptions to vacation schedules established from January requests may be granted for an employee who makes long-term vacation pla ns.
7. Vacation requests not submitted during January will be considered on a first -come, first-served basis. Requests must be submitted in writing. Department management shall respond to such vacation requests within 30 calendar days. Request not responded to in 30 days are considered approved by the department.
8. In an emergency, the Department may reschedule vacations of employees in the Skilled Craft unit.
9. Unscheduled or emergency vacation may be granted at the Department’s discretion.
F. Transfer of Vacation
An employee who is transferred, promoted, or demoted from one University position to another University position or funding source in which the employee will accrue vacation credit shall have vacation credit transferred.
G. An employee who is transferred, promoted, or demoted to another University position in which the employee will not be eligible to accrue vacation credit shall be paid for accrued vacation.
H. Terminal Vacation Pay
An eligible employee who separates from University employment or who is granted extended Military Leave shall be paid for vacation credit accrued through the employee’s last day of work. The effective date of separation shall be the last day of work, except that an employee who is retiring may use vacation up to the effective date of retirement.