ARTICLE 34 – UNION RIGHTS
A. Release Time for Meet and Confer
- Employees appointed by the Union shall be granted a reasonable amount of paid release time for the purpose of meeting and conferring at the bargaining table. In determining the amount of reasonable release time, factors such as preparation for and travel to attend bargaining sessions will be considered. Employees shall not be granted paid release time for travel time before or after an employee’s regularly scheduled hours of work. Not more than five (5) UCI employees shall be provided release time, unless the parties mutually agree otherwise. Employees on paid release time shall not be compensated for any hours which exceed the employee’s regularly scheduled hours of work. Meet and confer meetings shall be during the day shift unless the parties mutually agree otherwise. Arrangements shall be made by the University and the Union to enable swing and graveyard shift employees to participate in the meet and confer process, if necessary.
- The Union shall provide the designated University official with the names of employees requiring such paid release time at least twenty-four (24) hours in advance of the meet and confer session unless the parties mutually agree otherwise. The University shall not arbitrarily deny a particular request for released time.
B. Union Access
Duly authorized Union Representatives may visit work locations in which employees covered by this Agreement are employed at reasonable times and, upon notice, to discuss University or bargaining unit member’s matters pertaining to the Agreement. In the case of visits for the purpose of conducting unscheduled meetings with bargaining unit members, the Union representative shall give notice upon arrival in accordance with local campus/hospital/laboratory procedures. The Union will abide by the access rules and regulations in place at the campus and the Medical Center.
Management may require prior approval for such access. Access to employees shall not be arbitrarily denied.
The Union will submit to the Labor and Employee Relations office, within the month of January, a written list of all designated Union officers, delegates, and stewards annually. Any charges to the original list must be provided to the Labor and Employee Relations Office in writing within thirty (30) calendar days of the change.
C. Bulletin Boards
The University will furnish Union bulletin board space at locations agreeable to the parties, where employees covered by this are employed. The board space shall be used only for the following subjects:
- Union recreation, social and related news bulletins;
- Scheduled Union meetings;
- Information concerning Union elections or the results thereof;
- Reports of official business of the Union, including reports of committees, the stewards group or the Statewide Executive Board and
- Any other written material which first has been approved by the Union, and signed by an authorized business representative or steward.
D. Use of University Facilities and University Equipment
SETC shall be granted use of general purpose meeting rooms to the extent that such facilities can be made available without interfering with normal University operations. Such use shall be arranged in advance and in accordance with campus/hospital/laboratory procedures and will not be unreasonably denied. Room reservations shall not be canceled by the University except where unforeseen circumstances require the room to be used for purposes such as teaching, or patient care-related purposes or staff conferences. If a reserved room is canceled, the University will attempt to provide a comparable alternative space.
When required by the University, the Union shall reimburse the University for use fees or expenses, such as security, maintenance, and clean-up costs, incurred as a result of the Union’s use such as facilities.
E. Union Stewards
The Union shall be entitled to designate employees to act as stewards for the employees covered by this Agreement. The Union shall furnish the designated University official with the names of the employees selected as stewards. An alternate steward may be appointed to function in the absence of the regular steward. Any change in the appointment of the designated stewards shall be made known by the Union to the designated Labor and Employee Relations official as soon as possible after the change. There shall be no more than a total of five (5) UCI stewards, provided, however, there shall be no more than one (1) steward per shop.
Union business activities, other than investigation of grievances prior to formal filing, investigation of employee’s complaints, and investigation of health and safety matters, shall not be conducted on an employee’s scheduled work time, and shall not interfere with University programs and operations.
F. No Reprisals for Union Activity
The University is prohibited from imposing or threatening to impose reprisals, from discrimination or threatening to discriminate against stewards, or otherwise interfering with, restraining, or coercing stewards because of the exercise of any rights given by this Agreement. A full time Consultant or Officer of SETC-United may complain or file a grievance to the designated Labor and Employee Relations Official concerning the alleged steward reprisal. If the grievance is not resolved, it may be subject of an unfair labor practice charge. Disputes arising from this Article are not subject to the Arbitration Procedures of this Agreement.
G. Leave of Absence for Union Business
One UCI employee covered by this Agreement, who has been officially appointed by the Union as an officer or delegate of SETC-United, may be granted Union reimbursable leave(s) of absence for attendance at a Union function (i.e., Executive Board meetings, conferences, safety seminar). The aggregate of all such leave(s) shall not exceed a total of twenty-one (21) working days per calendar year.
A written request for such leave(s) of absence must be submitted to the University official or designee at least ten (10) working days prior to the effective date of the leave. A request for such leave(s) of absence shall not be arbitrarily denied.
SETC-United shall reimburse the University for all costs of employee compensation, including but not limited to, salary plus benefits paid to the employee. Benefits include the employer’s contributions to health, dental, and vision insurance, UCRP, Social Security and Medicare. UCI will submit billing to SETC-United at the designated SETC-United address for the leave referenced. The billing will include a breakdown of costs being billed, invoice number and billing date. SETC-United will pay the sum to the Regents of the University of California
care of UCI and submit to the Campus Cashier within thirty (30) days of the bill. The University has the right to terminate the leave if the Union fails to provide timely payment.
The Union will submit to the Labor and Employee Relations Office, within the month of January, a written list of all designated Union officers, delegates, and stewards annually. Any changes to the original list must be provided to the Labor and Employee Relations Office in writing within thirty (30) days of the change.
H. Orientation Packets
Bargaining unit employees attending orientations conducted by UCI’s Campus and Medical Center Human Resources shall be advised of the availability of orientation packets provided by SETC-United to the University.