Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee
California State University (CSU), the State Employees’ Trades Union (SETC), and the JATC agree to work together to establish apprenticeship programs at CSU campuses that currently do not have an apprenticeship program as and when practicable.
Side Letter Agreement – Troops to Trades Program
The California State University (CSU), the State Employees’ Trades Council – United, (SETCU), the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet), and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA), are partnering to offer training opportunities for military veterans in the joint CSU/SETC Apprenticeship Program. The CSU and SETC have developed this opportunity for veterans to get hands on and classroom training in accordance with the policies set forth in the USDVA’s On the Job Training (OJT) Apprenticeship Program and the Non-Paid Work Experience (NPWE) program. This program is certified through California’s State Approving Agency for Veterans Education (CSAAVE) to allow qualified veterans an OJT or NPWE training opportunity at a CSU campus. The program enables a qualified veteran to collect their veterans GI Bill benefits while receiving workforce training.
Terms of Agreement
- In support of both the OJT and NPWE programs, the CSU and SETC United agree that the following provisions of the CBA shall not apply to Veterans enrolled in the NPWE program:
a. Article 7.20
b. Article 24.3
c. Article 25.1, 25.3, 25.4, 25.5, 25.6, 25.8, 25.14, 25.15 and 25.16
- In all other respects, NPWE Apprentice Employees will be treated the same as non-NPWE Apprentices, i.e., the same provisions of the CBA applicable (or not applicable) to other Apprentice Employees, shall apply (or not apply, as the case may be under Article 26.8), to NPWE Apprentice Employees and during both their first year of employment as NPWE employees and during their subsequent employment, if any, at the CSU as long as they remain Apprentices.
- Veterans enrolled in the NPWE program shall receive OJT and classroom training in accordance with the CSU apprenticeship program at the enrolled campus with no financial compensation, as specified for this program by the USDVA, for a term of twelve (12) months.
- Participating CSU campus are responsible to pay Union dues of $ 50.00 per month on behalf of the Veterans enrolled in the NPWE program, on a quarterly basis.
- At no time will the number of Troops to Trade apprentices in the CSU system exceed the number of standard apprentices enrolled in the program. Troops to Trade Apprentices will be classified as such throughout the duration of their apprenticeship program, for tracking purpose regarding the system-wide ratio, only.
- Veterans enrolled in the NPWE program can work up to a maximum of twelve (12) consecutive months. Veterans hired as apprentices after Twelve (12) months of service in the NPWE program, will receive compensation based on Article 24 in the CBA.