ARTICLE 16 – HOLIDAYS
A. Eligibility For Holiday Pay
- Full-time employees in career positions shall be eligible for holiday pay in accordance with the following conditions:
- An employee shall receive holiday pay if on pay status on their last scheduled work day before the holiday and on the first scheduled work day following the holiday.
- A new or rehired employee shall receive pay for any holiday immediately preceding their first day of work provided the holiday is the first working day(s) of the month.
- A continuing employee who is on approved leave without pay, temporary layoff, or furlough for a period of not more than twenty (20) calendar days, including holidays, shall receive pay for any holiday occurring in that period.
- A terminating employee shall receive pay for any holiday immediately following their last day of work provided the holiday is the last working day(s) of the month.
- A full-time employee in a limited position and any part-time employee shall receive proportionate holiday pay up to a maximum of eight (8) hours per holiday based on hours on pay status, excluding holiday hours, over one-half (1/2) of the full time working hours of the month or quadri-weekly cycle. Holiday pay is not granted for a holiday that occurs before the first day of work for a new or rehired employee or after the last day of work for a terminating employee.
- No employee shall receive holiday pay for any holiday which is immediately preceded by or followed by an unauthorized absence, or a suspension for disciplinary reasons.
B. Holidays Observed
The following days shall be granted as holidays:
New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King’s Birthday
Cesar Chavez Day as designated by the Chancellor (last Friday in March)
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Day New
Holidays are considered to extend over a twenty-four (24) hour period, but no employee may receive more than eight (8) hours of holiday pay for each holiday.
C. Holidays on Saturday or Sunday
When a holiday falls on a Sunday, the following Monday is observed as a holiday. When a holiday falls on a Saturday, the preceding Friday is observed as a holiday unless an alternative day is designated by the President of the University.
D. Compensation for Holiday Work
When an employee’s work schedule requires them to work on an observed holiday the employee shall be paid at the normal rate or at the rate of one and one-half (1-1/2) times the regular hourly rate after forty (40) hours worked in a normal work week. Such employee(s) shall also receive eight (8) hours holiday pay at their base rate.
E. Alternate Full-Time Work Schedule
An employee on an alternate full-time work schedule shall be entitled to the same number of holidays and the same number of paid holiday hours as are granted to regularly scheduled employees. An employee whose regular day off falls on a holiday observed by the University shall receive eight (8) hours holiday pay at their base rate, and shall have the option of electing either:
- Alternate day off, and use compensatory time or vacation time to offset the difference between eight hours of holiday pay and the regular work shift; or
- Alternate day off, and work additional hours to offset the 40- hour work week, e.g., work additional hours on a regular work shift; or
- Work additional hours on the business day succeeding the holiday and take the remainder of the day off; or
- Revert back to an eight (8) hour work shift for the week in which there will be a holiday.
The alternate day off shall be immediately preceding or succeeding a holiday.
Employees shall provide to their immediate supervisor a written selection every three (3) months. If the employee desires to make a change to their selection, they shall provide advance written notice to their immediate supervisor. The written selection shall include the employee’s selection and identify the alternate day of, if applicable.
- Notice provision stipulated in Article 12, Hours of Work, Section C, Work Schedules: Shift Hours, Subsection 8, shall not apply to schedule changes as a result of a Holiday.
- This section shall not apply to Central Plant staff (Plant Operators and Stationary Engineers).
F. Special or Religious Holidays
An employee may observe a special or religious holiday, provided work schedules permit and provided that the time off is charged to accrued vacation, accrued compensatory time, if any, or is without pay.